August 3, 2010 – New York, NY: SourceMedia, a leading provider of timely and essential professional information for the financial services and technology industries, took home five prestigious awards for editorial excellence at the American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) annual Azbee Awards of Excellence.
The five awards, announced on July 28th in New York City, went to two of the company’s market-leading technology brands: Information Management and Securities Technology Monitor (formerly known as Securities Industry News).
ASBPE’s honors recognize the best in business print and online journalism and publication design. They are bestowed by a panel of top editors from across the country, who this year gave consideration to more than 1,200 entries.
“These prizes are evidence of SourceMedia’s commitment to editorial quality,” said David Longobardi, the company’s chief content officer. “They reflect a powerful combination: journalistic excellence combined with a deep knowledge of vertical market sectors.”
Information Management won the following three awards:
- National Bronze, Case Study, for “Going Long,” which was published Nov. /Dec. 2009. The story by editorial director Jim Ericson, documents how information management and visualization technology helped the Dallas Cowboys become the only major U.S. sports franchise to produce, manage, ship and sell its own branded merchandise. This article is available at http://www.information-management.com/issues/19_8/going-long_metrics_dallas_cowboys-10016573-1.html.
- Regional Gold, Case Study, for “The Real Thing?” which was published in July/Aug. 2009. This article by editorial director Jim Ericson, details the struggles of the world’s biggest soft-drink bottler as it worked to establish corporate wide reporting and business intelligence following a poor year’s market performance where the company faced rapidly changing taste of a fickle public. This story is available at http://www.information-management.com/issues/2007_60/business_intelligence_bi_cocacola-10015768-1.html.
- Regional Bronze, Front Cover Photo, for “MDM Master,” which was published March 2009. The cover image is that of Kim Fahey of RR Donnelley, captured by photographer Callie Lipkin and produced by Information Management art director Ryan Egan.
Information Management focuses on how organizations deploy information technology to meet their business objectives, placing emphasis on such topics as business intelligence, business analytics, business process management, data integration, database and other data management software. Its audience consists of over 75,000 IT and business management professionals in accounting, healthcare, data processing, telecommunications and government.
Securities Technology Monitor garnered two awards:
- National Silver, Investigative Reporting, “How Bernie Made Basket Cases of His Customers’ Accounts,” published Nov. 2, 2009. A six-week investigation by technology journalist and contributing editor John Dodge on the information systems and process Bernard Madoff used to fake "baskets" of trades put into his customers' account statements in his multibillion dollar fraud. This article is available at http://www.securitiestechnologymonitor.com/issues/19_107/-24168-1.html.
- Regional Gold, Editor’s Letter, “Uptick,” for two columns written by Tom Steinert-Threlkeld, published on Nov. 2, 2009, and Nov. 30, 2009. "All the Data, All the Time," on why all securities transaction information needs to be put in a single track-able database for modern market surveillance and regulatory enforcement: http://www.securitiestechnologymonitor.com/issues/19_107/-24160-1.html, and “Mind Over Model,’’ on why models of complex securities can't be left to run by themselves and create wholly automated markets: http://www.securitiestechnologymonitor.com/issues/21_22/-24314-1.html.
Securities Technology Monitor covers operations and technology for the trading and capital markets industries. Its audience comprises technology and operations professionals in the securities industry including chief operating officers, compliance officers, managing directors and portfolio managers on the buyside, sellside and clearing/exchanges.
For more information:
Edward M. Hanasik, Jr.
Group Marketing Director
SourceMedia, an Investcorp company, is the pre-eminent provider of timely and essential market information -- including industry news, analysis, research and insights -- for members of the financial services community, as well as related fields such as accounting and technology. Through its comprehensive library of professional publications, suite of industry-standard data applications, and in-depth seminars and conferences, SourceMedia (www.sourcemedia.com) offers its clients and subscribers a valuable and sophisticated range of products and services.