I often get client requests to help them define Business Intelligence (BI) leader/executive/manager job description. Here's what I typically provide.
Our research on Agile BI organizational structures is a good starting point. And since we don't do a deep dive into individual job descriptions or salaries in that research, here are great external resources from TDWI and Robert Half International. Finally, here's a description of a senior BI architect/manager/executive I've used in the past. Would love to hear from everyone on what's missing, what can be added, changed, etc.
Job Title: Director/Manager/VP of Business Intelligence
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer, Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Information Officer, Chief Financial Officer (more popular in the past than the present), or some of the newer titles such as Chief Customer Officer, Chief Data Officer, Chief Analytics Officer
Job Description: Director/Manager/VP of BI has primary responsibility for setting the strategy and vision and for managing the day-to-day tactical operations of the BI teams. He/she will be responsible for all strategic, tactical, operational, financial, human and technical resource managerial responsibilities associated with the following BI and BI related functional areas:
- Data preparation (sourcing, acquisition, integration).
- Data warehousing (we often recommend that the first two functional areas are managed separately by "data preparation" team(s).
- Reporting, analytics, data exploration.
- Information delivery (portals, mobile).
- BI Competency Center or Center of Excellence (BICC, BICOE).
Director/Manager/VP of BI will lead his/her teams by establishing and executing a vision for the delivery of information and analytics platforms and solutions to [business name] key stakeholders, including, internal staff, partners and clients. This position will be ultimately responsible for helping transform the [business name] into a business that truly differentiates and competes on analytics.
Job Requirements: A degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Operations, Management or a related field is required. Minimum of X years of progressively responsible experience in a directly related area during which both professional and management capability have been clearly demonstrated.
Industry/domain skills: Extensive expertise in [insert industry and domain (finance, HR, sales, marketing, etc.) specific verbiage]
- Extensive expertise in [insert specific BI and related technical platforms].
- Extensive expertise in data modeling: logical and physical.
- Extensive experience in multidimensional data modeling, such as start schemas, snowflakes, de-normalized models, handling "slow changing" dimensions/attributes.
- Experience and an understanding of a wide variety of analytical processes (governance, measurement, etc.).
- Experience with agile software development.
- Solid understanding of key BI trends.
- General business skills.
- Extensive experience interacting with C-level executives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Experience managing large [global] complex BI projects and teams.
- Proven ability to complete projects and achieve results in an ambiguous work environment.
- Proven strong leadership skills within the project team and in the business community.
- Proven ability to establish and articulate a vision, set goals, develops and executes strategies, and track and measure results.
- Proven ability to build and motivate a team to achieve well communicated expectations.
- Proven strong negotiating and consensus building abilities.
- Proven skills to work effectively across internal functional areas in ambiguous situations.
This story originally appeared at Forrester Research.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access