The International Association for Information and Data Quality (IAIDQ) is the premiere professional organization for data and information quality management professionals. The IAIDQ offers information and data quality practitioners resources for solving the perplexing problems of nonquality information in their organizations. The vision of the IAIDQ is to:
- Lead in the establishment of information quality/data quality as a recognized profession with training, certification, career tracks, and broad awareness of its value to organizations and society at large
- Consolidate, develop and make available (directly or through references to existing bodies of knowledge) a continuously improved information quality/data quality body of knowledge including principles, practices, case studies and cost justification/benefit analyses.
- Through its services and members, enable corporations to achieve significant and documented improvements in business results including customer satisfaction, profit and return on investment.
Low quality information and data adversely impact businesses and consumers, often very costly. Examples are reported in the world press almost daily. In 1999, incorrect unit information entered into U.S. NASA's Mars Climate Orbiter caused it to crash. Thomas Gavin, deputy director of space and earth science noted that "A single error should not bring down a $125 million mission."
As people become more and more dependent on a host of complicated information and data processes to go about their lives, timely access to current and correct information and data is vital. Organizations now routinely recognize that one of their critical and strategic resources is their own information and data. IAIDQ members come from 17 countries on five continents. They are joined together in their common goal to improve information and data quality.
The Board of Directors elected by the members is made up of a cross-sectional representative of individuals:
- President, Ben Reed, Microsoft Corporation, US
- Secretary-Treasurer, Christian Walenta, IBM, US
- VP, Partner Relations, Frank Dravis, Firstlogic, US
- VP, Member Services, Markus Helfert, Dublin City University, Ireland
- VP, Operations, Andres Perez, IRM Consulting, Ltd. Co., US
- VP, Web Services, Grant Robinson, NSW Department of Infrastructure, Planning, and Natural Resources, Australia
- VP, Publicity and Recruitment, Jeffrey Worthington, US Environmental Protection Agency, US
The co-founders of this organization - Larry P. English, Information Impact International, and Thomas C. Redman, Navesink Consulting Group - are two of the most respected and well-known thought and practice leaders in the field of Information and data quality.
You can read more about IAIDQ and the work of their members at the IAIDQ website, www.iaidq.org.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access