Wireless connectivity will fuel growth in the burgeoning storage market by enabling new applications for database access and digital content sharing, says a new study from Datacomm Research Company.
"The value of information is directly related to freshness, availability, and context. Combining wireless access and storage area networks yields qualitative improvements in all three factors," says Kishore Jethanandani, principal author of the report. "Mobile operators that want to capture the lion's share of enterprise customers should collaborate with storage networking vendors." he concluded. Additional conclusions mentioned in the study: found in Storage Area Networks: Wireless
- Wireless access to information repositories will lead to more powerful and pervasive customer relationship management (CRM) and decision support applications. Field sales representatives and field service technicians will draw on comprehensive account histories, service records, and product/service information. Senior managers will examine every conceivable correlation in the quest to optimize performance.
- Storage area networks (SANs) enable more efficient data collection, manipulation, and distribution. The combination of SANs, virtualization software, and protocol converters permit creation of vast information repositories that can be accessed anywhere, anytime, using any device.
- The quality of storage management software is crucial to the success of storage networks. The right software will permit users to store content on the network rather than in memory-constrained devices. The right software will also permit rapid and cost-effective distribution of multimedia content. Storage management software dynamically allocates storage space, files content for rapid retrieval, and enables intelligent caching to overcome hardware speed limitations.
- Other promising wireless-enhanced storage applications include digital photography, unified messaging, telematics, entertainment, and education. However, enterprise applications are likely to succeed before consumer applications. Wireless will be used not only to upload and access data, but to send real-time alerts.
- The healthcare industry will use storage networks in conjunction with wireless LANs to eliminate paperwork and reduce errors. The integration of clinical, diagnostic, pharmaceutical, and business information will save time, cut costs, and ensure accuracy. The advertising industry will use storage networks and mobile data to facilitate collaboration and minimize approval delays.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access