Ventana Research recently found that organizations show a maturing pattern in their data governance deployment and usage. This benchmark research is based on input from 341 participants in IT-related areas and front-office roles. Data governance the practice of setting policies, rules and processes that guide the use, development and protection of information can help understand data issues and improve data quality and consistency in a competitive market environment.
Data governance enables organizations to oversee and coordinate how information is used in business intelligence reporting, analysis and decision-making throughout the enterprise. Data governance improves the implementation of business modeling and master data management. It also helps organizations comply with regulations and guard against improper data exposure or changes.
The Ventana Research reveals that while organizations are maturing in data governance, the vast majority of them can still improve in their deployment and utilization of these capabilities.
Of organizations participating in this research, fewer than two in five organizations have deployed data governance. The two most often cited reasons for this is that the organization places too low a priority on it and executive support is lacking.
Ventanas study concludes, however, that some organizations could benefit from data governance. Almost two-fifths of organizations could not say that they trust or completely trust their data as a basis for decision-making and operations. Moreover, a majority identified poor data quality as the second most impactful data governance-related issue.
Ventana recommends the following next steps:
- Educate your organization about data governance.
- Identify and empower data governance leaders.
- Focus your data governance effort for specific business needs.
- Enlist finance as part of the critical leadership for data governance.
- Evaluate your reliance on spreadsheets as a warning to issues in data governance.
- Select the right technology to advance data governance maturity.
- Demand a TCO justification with clarity on benefits.
For more research, assessment and advisory services visit www.ventanaresearch.com.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access