With the parallel processing abilities of the Unisys ES7000 server, SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services can utilize massive amounts of memory in 64-bit systems to process larger cube dimensions in less time. The ES7000's parallel processing capabilities contribute to faster aggregation processing so users can access and utilize data more quickly.
Unisys tested the performance of SQL Server 2000 64-bit Analysis Services on the Unisys ES7000 server to produce dimension processing results, cube processing results and query processing results. The study was conducted on a 16-processor Unisys ES7000 with Intel Itanium 2, Microsoft SQL Server, Analysis Services "Liberty" IA-64 Beta release and SQL Server Accelerator for BI cubes.
Significant findings from the performance study include:
- 50 percent improvement in scalability with 16 processors vs.8 processors.
- Processing speed doubled between parallel processing vs. sequentialprocessing for 4 partitions.
- Ability to process 64 million member multidimensional online analytical processing (MOLAP) dimensions successfully.
Until now, the memory addressability constraints of 32-bit analysis have limited OLAP cube size, the speed with which they can be built and the users query response time.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access