Traditionally, companies spend a tremendous amount of time and money making sure their structured repositories are backed up, secure and in compliance. These repositories consist of various ERP systems, such as accounts payable, accounts receivable and CRM. Consistently delivering the right information to the right people at the right time increases profitability and competitive advantage – while also ensuring compliance.
Unfortunately, many companies do not understand that these structured data repositories make up only 15 percent of the total critical data within the company. The rest of a company's critical data – nearly 85 percent – is unstructured. To put this in perspective, research also shows that 80 percent of all critical business decisions are made from this unstructured data. Unstructured content includes word processing documents, email, images, scanned documents, instant messages, spreadsheets, PDFs, presentations and more. In addition, it is commonly known that almost half of a business' unstructured data is "noise" – no longer of any use to the organization. Yet global users must still sift through that noise, pulling it back and forth across the network, to find the meaningful information necessary to do their jobs effectively.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access