Information technology innovations in commodity 64-bit servers, open source platforms and million transaction per minute databases are redefining the limits of what is possible with data warehousing applications. Collectively, these drivers are catalyzing ongoing and emerging trends such data mart consolidation, active data warehousing and integrated business intelligence.
The Forrester Data Warehousing Web Survey of April 15, 2004 shows that active data warehousing is getting traction (see Figure 1). An active data warehouse drives operational systems, closing the automated loop in both directions between the data warehouse and the transactional system. Approximately 17 percent of respondents claim to have deployed an active data warehouse and another 13 percent have one in design for a total of 30 percent pursuing active data warehousing in some form. Still, the vast majority (70 percent) of respondents do not have an active data warehouse; however, 30 percent are considering it. Therefore, there is a potential pipeline.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access