In a recent DAMA-International (DAMA-I) board meeting, the board members were polled to suggest a motto or mission statement for DAMA. There were many suggestions provided, but all of them could be summarized in the words: "Inspiring the delivery of data management excellence." Let's focus on "inspiring" and "delivering." It seems that the key vehicle for inspiring and delivering in today's business world is the Internet. DAMA's Web site has always been a focal point for finding data management excellence. Anyone visiting www.dama.org can find seminars, classes, symposia, reference reading, data management experts and other relevant information. Our Web site offers everything from the conceptual to the pragmatic. From one perspective, the viewer can browse life cycle approaches, meta data structures and integration strategies. From a more pragmatic view, the site provides information for running a chapter, leads to data-oriented jobs opportunities or experts available for speaking or consulting.
However, DAMA realizes that having such resources available to you is not enough. In today's e-world, Web information must not only be available, but also be dynamic, interactive and flexible. To meet this challenge, the DAMA Web site is being transformed into a new format and infrastructure. By teaming up with internet4associations.com, we have produced a new look and feel so you can better understand and use our services.
The following new features are offered on the revamped site at www.dama.org:
- Automated surveying, voting and quick polls (simple pop-up queries) that both DAMA leadership and its chapters can use to check the pulse of members and quickly find their needs and interests.
- Availability of Web site software to chapters for building their own Web sites on the same DAMA server, each page looking similar in format to the DAMA-I page.
- Easily maintainable member demo-graphics in database format by chapters. Each member can maintain personal demographics using a personal ID and password. These demographics can be used by chapter leaders to broadcast e-mails for special interest groups.
- A site map that is automatically updated and always current.
- A new job posting facility allowing recruiters to create their own secure job lists and job seekers to maintain secure resumes. All of this may be done without any intervention by DAMA.
Upcoming features planned for the long term include immediate member payment ability through a VeriSign-type interface, bulletin boards, e-conferencing and whatever else the e-world may be offering.
We are excited about these Web offerings. This is DAMA's way of being a leader in the 21st century for data management, both for data of large enterprises and DAMA's own data. Although we will still communicate through e-mails, postal mail and phone, we see the Internet as a first source for all conference information, registration rules, ordering, education and repository content. It may be published in many places, but it all starts on the Web site. We hope you enjoy it!
DAMA CHAPTER LISTING
This is the list of DAMA international chapters. For details, visit our Web site: www.dama.org.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access