Sun Microsystems, Inc. added five reference architectures and two infrastructure solutions to its portfolio of 30 repeatable, proven solution methodologies. Designed by Sun to help large and small enterprises worldwide dramatically cut costs, reduce risk and complexity, speed delivery of services and open new revenue possibilities, the new Sun Migration Reference Architecture for Tru64 systems and Web Application Firewall, Supply Chain Management, Secure Web Server and Enhanced Communications Services Reference Architectures are available to customers at no additional charge. The new Sun Infrastructure Solution for Tru64 Migration and Sun Infrastructure Solution for mainframe migration augment core reference architectures with financing and professional services to further reduce cost and complexity in implementation. "Sun's Reference Architecture and Infrastructure programs deliver on the company's promise of driving out complexity that is typically associated with the deployment of new server systems," said Jean S. Bozman, vice president, Global Enterprise Server Solutions, IDC. "The rigorous design, pre-integration, testing and documentation that is provided by these Sun programs all combine to make it easier for IT customers to deploy new data services and to move mission- critical workloads from one server platform to another."
Three of the new solution methodologies were specifically designed to help customers move to more cost-effective, open systems from antiquated or abandoned platforms:
- Sun Migration Reference Architecture for Tru64 systems and Sun Infrastructure Solution for Tru64 Migration Help customers, particularly in life sciences, telecommunications, utilities, education, and city and state government, ease the migration from discontinued AlphaServer Tru64 systems to proven, reliable Sun systems with less risk. To date, more than 50 customers including City of Oakland have opted to migrate and have realized tremendous benefits.
- Sun Infrastructure Solution for Mainframe Migration Helps unbind customers from legacy mainframe platforms and expensive software licensing fees. This proven, cost-efficient solution builds on the previously announced Sun Mainframe Rehosting Reference Architecture, to further simplify migration to the Sun platform which can reduce operational costs, optimize IT infrastructure and provide investment protection. Customers leveraging the methodologies in the Mainframe Migration Reference Architecture and Sun Infrastructure Solution for Mainframe Migration on average have realized savings of 50 percent or more over their previous environment and a return on investment in 12-24 months.
Sun Reference Architectures and Infrastructure Solutions are built to address specific needs across diverse industries including financial services, telecommunications, manufacturing and retail. Starting with tested architectures and production-proven methodologies can give customers distinct advantages to reduce cost, risk and time to production over the traditional, fully customized approach. Sun Reference Architectures have already saved customers millions of dollars and delivered up to 175 percent return on investment in as little as 13 months.
Sun Reference Architectures define through easy-to-use architecture, sizing and implementation guides the recommended hardware and software components to easily build repeatable, multitiered architectures. Sun Infrastructure Solutions augment the core Reference Architecture with best practices, repeatable methodologies and professional services to help further simplify deploying and integrating mission critical IT solutions. Customers can leverage Sun iForce Centers worldwide to further test these solution methodologies for their own environments prior to investing. Sun systems and software can be pre-configured through the Sun Customer Ready Systems program to further speed implementation. Sun Infrastructure Solutions and Reference Architectures are available to customers worldwide through Sun's iForce partner network.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access