SPSS Inc. announced the availability of SPSS 12.0 for Windows and SPSS Server 12.0 for Windows. The latest version of SPSS includes a new presentation graphics system, enhanced data and output management, and the new SPSS Complex Samples add-on module for analyzing survey data.
More than 250,000 organizations worldwide rely on SPSS for Windows for conducting survey research, database analysis and scientific reporting. SPSS 12.0 is an easy-to-use, comprehensive infrastructure for the entire analytical process, which includes planning, data collection, data access, data management, analysis, reporting and deployment.
Enhancements to SPSS 12.0 fall within three primary categories: presentation graphics, data and output management, and survey analysis.
SPSS 12.0 includes enhanced reporting capabilities based on a new graphics system that enables users to produce presentation-quality graphs. The new system features enhanced production graphics, expanded control over chart appearance at the time of creation and editing, and customizable chart templates.
SPSS 12.0 boasts several new features that enable greater custom control for data and output management:
- Visual Bander is a data manipulation tool that allows users to intelligently create bands for numeric data (e.g., breaking ages into demographic groups).
- Longer variable names enables users to import and describe data files that have extended names.
- Identify Duplicate Cases helps users to cleanse data by identifying and filtering duplicate records.
- The Output Management System (OMS) enables end-users and application developers to create SPSS output from either SPSS data files, XML, HTML or text files, enabling users to develop customer programs and applications.
Additionally, SPSS 12.0 includes a read-only option, which provides users with the choice to make datasets "read-only," preserving original data and preventing future alterations. It also includes a data file comments function, which enables users to add notations within individual data files.
The new SPSS Complex Samples 12.0 add-on module allows survey, market, health and public opinion researchers as well as social scientists who use sample survey methodology to incorporate their complex sample designs into data analysis. Containing specialized planning tools and statistics, SPSS Complex Samples enables users to achieve more statistically valid inferences for populations measured in complex sample data.
SPSS for Windows is SPSS Inc.'s premier data analysis software that features a wide range of analytic techniques and presentation graphics. Several add-on modules are available to expand the analytical capabilities of the base software, including:
- SPSS Advanced Models for analyzing complex relationships SPSS Categories for discovering unique relationships in categorical data
- SPSS Regression Models for improving predictions with a variety of non-linear modeling procedures
SPSS 12.0 for Windows is available as a standalone desktop application or as a client interface to SPSS Server. SPSS Server 12.0 allows organizations, especially those with large volumes of centralized data, to quickly and securely analyze this information. By allowing data to remain on the server and eliminating the need to copy and convert it, SPSS Server enables users to quickly analyze large amounts of data. SPSS 12.0 also facilitates data access from many sources and enables administrators to maintain a high level of data security. The server version of SPSS 12.0 is currently available for Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000 Server, and Windows Server 2003. SPSS Inc. will release server versions of SPSS 12.0 for Sun Solaris, IBM AIX and RedHat Linux in the fourth quarter.
SPSS 12.0 works seamlessly with other SPSS Inc. software to produce integrated systems for industry-specific applications. For example, combining SPSS 12.0 with SPSS Data Entry and SmartViewer Web Server creates a complete survey research system that includes data collection, data analysis and report distribution. More information about SPSS 12.0 can be found at www.spss.com/spss.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access