According to a CIO survey conducted by SealedMedia Inc., today's enterprise content management (ECM) systems don't meet the content protection and compliance needs of today's enterprise customers. As a result, many CIOs are seeking Enterprise Digital Rights Management (E-DRM) solutions to complement their ECM systems, to safeguard content and e-mail systems, and address compliance concerns related to Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA and other government mandates.
While most participants feel that their respective ECM system meets their basic needs, 76 percent of participants are seeking additional content protection and control functionality. Moreover, ECM systems are often too complex and expensive for enterprise-wide deployment. Specifically:
- CIOs revealed that only 45 percent of their employees use ECM systems-leaving 55 percent of employees to struggle on their own with content- and digital rights management issues.
- About 50 percent of their employees store sensitive information outside the ECM repository-leaving organizations vulnerable to information loss or manipulation.
- 43 percent of sensitive corporate information is never intended to reside in the ECM repository-begging the question: Where should it be stored and how should the information be protected.
- 8 out of 10 participants are interested in functionality that would allow them to protect content once it is checked out of the ECM system.
- 69 percent are more interested than a year ago in protecting content outside the ECM repository.
- Seven out of ten would like to use their ECM system to protect and control documents outside the repository.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access