August 20, 2010 – Since the announcement of SAP’s intent to acquire Sybase in May, the two companies have been working to create product road maps and innovations to transform the way people and businesses work, For the first time this week, company leaders from the two companies shared the strategy and joint product direction for the newly combined companies and stated that the combined companies now represent the market-leading position in enterprise applications, business analytics and mobile infrastructure.
The vision stated by company leaders is of an unwired enterprise, embracing the evolution of mobile as the new desktop.
SAP and Sybase also unveiled strategic product directions and planned co-innovations in the three key areas of enterprise mobility, business analytics and enterprise information management. The companies also announced:
- Within the next nine months, the companies will bring together technologies to deliver a leading mobile platform for business that is based on open standards, runs on all major mobile operating systems, and manages and supports all major device types.
- SAP and Sybase will present the industry’s broadest solution portfolio for EIM by porting, certifying and optimizing SAP Business Suite and other solutions onto Sybase data management servers.
- The companies will offer customers a complete and optimized high-performance business analytics infrastructure tapping SAP® BusinessObjects business intelligence (solutions on data management servers.
- The companies will incorporate SAP's in-memory computing technology across SAP and Sybase data management offerings.
SAP Co-CEOs Bill McDermott and Jim Hagemann Snabe stated that together, SAP and Sybase will deliver a unique and unmatched value proposition for customers in mobility, analytics and information management. “The product roadmap and go-forward strategy we are sharing today positions SAP to be the only company enabled to deliver a full suite of enterprise software and next-generation business intelligence on any device at any time,” they shared in a prepared statement.
The strategy of “Unwired Enterprise” has been in action for eight years at Sybase. “Working alongside SAP, we will take mobility to the next level by extending analytics and bringing our technologies to new vertical markets. With SAP’s investment in Sybase’s technologies, we’ll be able to extend our existing solutions to an even broader audience, and more rapidly innovate as the market’s needs continue to evolve,” John Chen, CEO, Sybase, was quoted to say
The focus on the unwired enterprise is not surprising, as the value of mobile technology is growing rapidly. “Now, a new generation of business users demands immediate access to business solutions through mobile devices,” Kevin Nix, senior vice president of Business Solutions and Technology at SAP, stated in an interview for the SAP Insider earlier this year.
Nix believes that mobile solutions can transform how work gets done as mobile access to enterprise applications can accelerate the speed of business. “Embracing the value of enterprise mobility applications can help companies stay ahead of the competition,” Nix said.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access