Recognizing the growing role of enterprise systems in assisting companies to meet the increasing challenges of corporate compliance and risk management, SAP AG announced that it is acquiring Virsa Systems, Inc., a privately held supplier of cross-enterprise compliance solutions. The acquisition will deliver value by providing powerful compliance solutions that work across heterogeneous IT environments to reduce risk and cost and provide improved business control, making SAP solutions even more attractive for prospective customers on a global basis. The announcement was made today at Simplify, the 2006 Virsa Customer Conference, being held in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Founded in 1996, Virsa has more than 300 enterprise customers, many of which Global 1000 companies, across all major vertical market segments. SAP stated that the transaction with Virsa is continuing evidence of its strategy to use "fill-in" acquisitions to add to its broad solution offering by gaining specific technologies and capabilities that meet the needs of its customers, within industries or across industries, while maintaining its successful organic growth track record. Terms of the all-cash transaction were not disclosed.
Virsa is the leading provider of compliance solutions that monitor and enforce business controls in real time across enterprise systems and legacy applications. Virsa solutions help customers maintain continuous compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA, GLB and other regulations. SAP and Virsa already have a highly successful relationship at three levels:
- Technology: Virsa solutions are designed and delivered on the SAP NetWeaver platform, making Virsa one of the more than 1,000 independent software vendors (ISVs) who have committed to build and market solutions on SAP's leading platform.
- Go to Market: SAP and Virsa have been closely aligned in joint marketing, sales and product development activities. Since March 2005, SAP has been reselling Virsa's flagship product, Compliance Calibrator, as an add-on to mySAP ERP. In the one-year period since that agreement was announced, SAP and Virsa have partnered on more than 150 customer wins. Additionally, SAP Ventures is an investor in Virsa.
- Customer/Vendor: SAP has one of the largest global deployments of Virsa's Compliance Calibrator and Access Enforcer, with more than 40,000 users around the world.
SAP stated that the acquisition is expected to be completed in May 2006 and is subject to the approval of the respective antitrust authorities. Headquartered in Fremont, California, Virsa employs nearly 250 people and has offices throughout the United States, as well as in the United Kingdom, Germany, India and Australia. While integration plans are now being explored, SAP said it intended to continue operations in these offices and that Virsa employees would become part of SAP America and the worldwide network of SAP Labs.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access