According to recent research from Saugatuck Technology, cloud-based development is suddenly a viable alternative to on-premise development targeting traditional computing platforms. Software as a service (SaaS) platform capabilities have evolved through three stages:
- Integration - ecosystem partner integration via APIs and integration of SaaS solutions with on-premise applications,
- Customization - customization of SaaS solution UI and logic via APIs and scripting toolkits, and
- Development - cloud-based development of enterprise applications and SaaS solutions.
Integration, customization and development will express itself in the evolution of workflow capabilities in the fourth stage:
- Integration with current on-premise workflow
- Customization of SaaS Provider workflow to suit the customers business needs
- Development of add-on or entirely new workflow to extend the workflow that the SaaS provider offers.
By 2012, leading SaaS platforms will support workflow integration, customization and development, to enable seamless integration with the legacy portfolio of on-premise applications.
Saugatuck sees important elements of this fourth stage emerging as SaaS providers begin to move significant resources and business model emphasis toward cloud-based development tools and services.
For more information on future SaaS studies, visit www.saugatech.com.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access