Plumtree Software released the results of its fourth annual survey of the portal market, publishing a white paper that includes empirical data on total cost of ownership, deployment time frames and staffing requirements. The paper synthesizes the results of Plumtree's 2003 customer survey with major financial and industry analyst reports on the portal market, including data on market size, market share and the technologies most commonly co-deployed with portals. The survey data also provides insight on the benefits yielded from portal deployments, the volume of content and the number of services integrated in a typical portal, and the lines of business most often involved in a portal deployment. The paper is available at www.plumtree.com. Visitors to the site can also register for a Web seminar discussing the results.
Some key findings include:
- Analysts expect the market to grow by 20 percent or more over the coming years.
- Customers believe portals should be deployed with search, content management, collaboration and single sign-on, which provide a foundation for building rich applications within the portal.
- The failure rate for portal deployments ranges from 20 to 30 percent, largely due to empty portals that don't integrate valuable resources and processes.
- Integrated applications, project collaboration and knowledge management ranked first, second and third in anticipated return on investment, reflecting a balance between line-of- business applications and enterprise-wide knowledge management.
- The most popular applications for lines of business are employee services applications deployed by human resources departments, and sales support applications. Executive dashboards have also become popular portal applications, populated largely with financial data.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access