Noetix Corp., a software provider that automatically generates business intelligence (BI) content from enterprise applications, announced that a survey conducted for the Oracle Applications Users Group (OAUG) revealed that spreadsheets and ad hoc query tools are still the leading BI tools used across organizations using Oracle Applications. Three out of four respondents said they continue to rely on spreadsheets for reporting and BI in general.
The survey, "Achieving End-to-End Business Intelligence," was conducted in order to gauge the depth of BI and analytics deployments within Oracle enterprises. Responses from Oracle Applications users uncovered the following trends:
- Data managers are generating hundreds of reports a month which take a great deal of time to modify and maintain. Four out of 10 respondents reported that their departments generate 100 or more reports per month and that these reports need to be continually modified to meet the needs of business users. More than 60 percent of respondents said it takes a day or more to create one new report for an end user.
- The vision of extending BI tools across the enterprise has not yet been realized. For the most part, only one out of 10 employees has access to BI capabilities.
- Many data managers are concerned about the accuracy of data coming from back-end sources and bringing this data together. The top challenge cited when bringing together data from the back end to populate BI tools is being able to validate the accuracy of the data used in reporting. Many respondents added that they have issues with formatting or consolidating data from disparate locations. This challenge is widespread as a previous Independent Oracle Users Group (IOUG) study confirmed that the average member site had at least three different brands of databases running within their enterprises.
"The challenges around BI and analytics occur at two levels within the enterprise: at the back end, where the right data must be identified and sourced to provide a clear view of the business, and at the front end, where the right tools are needed to leverage the data and apply it to day-to-day operational and long-term strategic business decision-making," said Joseph McKendrick, research analyst at Unisphere Research and author of the survey.
Noetix, the survey sponsor, helps more than 1,300 companies worldwide achieve greater business insight by automatically generating metadata unique to their organization. This technology enables immediate access to enterprise application data and accelerates queries, reporting, and analysis. Noetix also provides a centralized repository of information throughout the organization bringing together sets of books, organizational units and disparate data sources.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access