META Group, Inc. announced the availability of its newest METAspectrum market evaluation, covering the project portfolio management (PPfM) tool market. This market includes products that coordinate, manage and enable prioritization of project and program portfolios and related resources, linking them in a single repository with appropriate views to categorize, assess the value/risk of, and score current and future projects in the context of business imperatives.
"We expect this emerging area to become more demanding as additional competitors enter and pressure vendors to hone capabilities," says Melinda-Carol Ballou, senior research analyst with META Group. "Market maturation will result in consolidation of smaller players and better coordinated, more functional portfolio analysis suites."
The current market breadth benefits users short term, by enabling choices across a range of capabilities (e.g., strength in resource management vs. stronger project management). Ultimately, suites will integrate five key functional areas (projects, programs, portfolio management, people/resources, and process) with asset views. We expect additional ERP entrants beyond PeopleSoft and Lawson (Oracle, SAP, et al.) and smaller, niche players with demand management capabilities. The challenge for vendors in this space is to integrate deep portfolio analysis with other core functionality, making it intuitive enough to be adopted by executives and other users.
- The PPfM Tool METAspectrum evaluates 11 companies. Currently, there are no followers in this young market, because the range of product capabilities on both extremes remains limited.
- The ability to assess priorities and cull the project portfolio enables organizations to redirect funding appropriately.
- Currently, market success depends more on performance than on presence, because numerous vendors are just shipping offerings.
- The short-term vendor impact will result in a densely populated, highly competitive market.
- Longer term, we expect ERP and EPM players to lead this market.
To learn more about the METAspectrum methodology, visit www.metagroup.com/metaspectrum or call (800) 945-META.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access