META Group, Inc. announced the availability of its newest METAspectrum evaluation for the antivirus market. The antivirus market comprises software and services for detecting, filtering, and removing viruses and malware (malicious scripts, backdoors, trojans and snooping/spyware files) and for restoring damaged files.
"Viruses are the most prevalent security threats to enterprise integrity," says Peter Firstbrook, senior research analyst with META Group's Security & Risk Strategies service. "We expect the market for antivirus products to grow 10 to 20 percent per year. Vendors with solid solutions in the high-growth areas storage-area network (SAN), Linux, e-mail and Web gateways will experience success as they broaden their penetration."
Organizations must budget for products/services and internal resources to continuously manage and enhance antivirus defenses. Aggressive negotiations can lower the cost of ownership of antivirus defenses, but organizations must also ensure budgets exist to administer and plan an active virus defense.
The antivirus market is rapidly maturing to the point of saturation, and vendor consolidation has narrowed the shortlist to the five vendors evaluated in this METAspectrum. The analysis found:
- Trend Micro, Symantec and Network Associates/McAfee are the leaders in the enterprise antivirus market.
- Global 2000 companies are seeking vendors that are dedicated to antivirus and security for large enterprises, with ongoing investment in R&D and a track record of product innovation.
- End users must balance the ease of management and lower cost of antivirus suites against the added security of multiple antivirus scan engines.
- By year-end 2004, leading antivirus vendors will offer comprehensive antispam software through acquisition or integration.
- Successful vendors will incorporate other forms of content management (antispam, URL and mobile code filtering) at the enterprise gateway and will offer integrated personal firewalls and personal intrusion detection at the client, to enhance value and lower enterprise costs.
To learn more about the METAspectrum methodology, visit www.metagroup.com/metaspectrum or call (800) 945-META.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access