Informatica Corporation, a leading provider of data integration and business intelligence software, announced Informatica SuperGlue, the first completely Web-based meta data management solution for assembling, visualizing and analyzing information about data and systems across the enterprise. SuperGlue leverages Informatica's data integration and business intelligence software to integrate disparate enterprise meta data and vividly portray and control the movement, lineage and utilization of information assets, enabling organizations to reduce business risk and increase productivity while helping to reduce IT development and maintenance costs.
Driven by mounting demands for business efficiency, corporate governance, accountability and responsiveness, today's enterprises require enhanced transparency into their integrated information assets and processes. As CEOs and CFOs face the difficulties of complying with regulations such as Sarbanes Oxley and Basel II, CIOs are scrambling to produce required documentation. Meta data, or data about data, is essential to understanding and managing how data is derived, its underlying relationships, and how it is used.
SuperGlue is the first meta data management solution to provide business managers with personalized dashboard-driven views that enable them to better understand and more easily audit the complex information flows that inform their decisions and drive regulatory compliance. It is also the first solution to empower IT managers with graphical cross-system visibility into enterprise meta data so they can more readily assess the impact of system and process changes, improve operational performance and pinpoint data redundancies and opportunities for reuse.
"As evolving business opportunities drive organizations to move to the next generation of service-oriented architectures, methods and tools, CIOs will begin to see the growing importance of meta data management," said Mike Blechar, vice president and research director, Gartner. "Meta data management solutions which support the re-use of services, components and data allow enterprises to significantly reduce time to market and IT costs while improving application quality and developer productivity."
Informatica SuperGlue provides broad benefits in three main areas: reduced business risk, improved business efficiency and reduced business costs. Organizations can use SuperGlue to catalog, associate and search information assets across any number of enterprise systems and data sources. Because the lineage of each piece of information is documented dynamically, organizations can minimize risk with an accurate information audit trail across all their processes. At the same time, managers are able to see at a glance how a modification in a business rule or process affects all other systems and processes, and are thus able to react more intelligently and efficiently to change.
Ultimately, the ongoing visibility into information and its origin enabled by SuperGlue helps lower IT costs. Having a cross-enterprise knowledge base of information assets enables data to be used and reused more effectively, and system resources to be more optimally deployed. Moreover, visibility into data flows and the inter-relationships of assets means that the time spent on developing business intelligence, data warehouse and integration projects can be significantly reduced and such environments can be maintained with fewer resources.
Coming together for the first time in the meta data management arena, SuperGlue's primary features include:
- Intelligent lineage. This function dynamically captures, documents and graphically presents data flows and dependencies across all systems and processes to provide intelligent audit trails that answer such questions as: "Where did this data come from?" or "How was this result calculated?" Thus armed, decision-makers are able to gain insights into whether results a e defensible and analyses are sound.
- Intuitive analysis and reporting. Users are able to monitor and analyze their data and data integration processes with Web-based dashboards and other visualization techniques. Managers are able to assess in real time variables such as data quality and usage, as well as detect redundancies and perform change impact analyses.
- Personalized directory. SuperGlue includes a searchable catalog of an enterprise's information assets, coupled with their business and technical attributes. This secure knowledge base can be personalized by role and can present logical, physical and process-based views of assets across all enterprise systems and projects.
- Built-in integration engine. The heart of SuperGlue is the real-time integration engine that collects meta data from cross-enterprise sources and keeps it perpetually up to date and in a consistent format. Sources include Informatica software and third-party meta data repositories, business intelligence software, applications, databases, flat files or XML and CWM/XMI sources.
- 100 percent Web-based architecture. In contrast to previous generation and functionally limited meta data management solutions, SuperGlue is underpinned by a 100 percent Web-based architecture. Completely open and highly extensible, it handles any information, meta data model or relationship. It also supports portal deployment and the use of Web services.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access