EMC Corporation announced new findings to the EMC-sponsored research from IDC that measures and forecasts the vast amounts and diverse types of digital information created and copied in the world.
IDC's research indicates:
- At 281 billion gigabytes (281 exabytes), the digital universe in 2007 was 10 percent bigger than previously estimated.
- With a compound annual growth rate of almost 60 percent, the digital universe is growing faster and is projected to be nearly 1.8 zettabytes (1,800 exabytes) in 2011, a tenfold increase over five years.
- Your "digital shadow" - that is, all the digital information generated about the average person on a daily basis - now surpasses the amount of digital information individuals actively create themselves.
Other key findings:
- The information explosion, at least in raw gigabytes, is predominately visual: images, camcorder clips, digital TV signals and surveillance streams.
- The picture related to the source and governance of digital information remains intact: Approximately 70 percent of the digital universe is created by individuals, yet enterprises are responsible for the security, privacy, reliability, and compliance of 85 percent.
- Because of the growth of VoIP, sensors, and RFID, the number of electronic information "containers" - files, images, packets, tag contents - is growing 50 percent faster than the number of gigabytes.
- To deal with this explosion of the digital universe, organizations will need to spearhead the development of organization-wide information governance: information security, information retention, data access and compliance.
- The finance industry accounts for almost 20 percent of worldwide IT spending but only 6 percent of the digital universe. Meanwhile, media, entertainment and communications industries will account for 10 times their share of the digital universe in 2011 as their share of global GDP.
- Electronic waste is accumulating at more than 1 billion units a year.
To find out more about information trends, history and preservation, go to www.emc.com/digital_universe.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access