IDC revealed its new forecast on the worldwide virtual tape library (VTL) market. The worldwide VTL market will double in value over the next five years, reaching $1.4 billion by 2011, while the market terabytes will increase at a rapid 47.4% compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) over the same period. Open system VTL solutions will drive market growth and eclipse enterprise mainframe VTL market value in the year ahead.
Key findings include:
- VTLs will be increasingly integrated as a tiered storage solution.
- Current open system VTL solutions are using high-capacity, low-cost disk drives (e.g., SATA).
- Open system customers are considering VTLs to increase recovery time objectives, improve tape utilization and decrease backup windows.
IDC's new study Worldwide Virtual Tape Library 2006-2011 Forecast and Analysis: Laying the Foundation examines the virtual tape library (VTL) market and opportunities over the next five years. Adoption patterns are evaluated leveraging recent IDC research, and forecasts for VTL revenue and terabytes are outlined.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access