IBM recently announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Venetica, a privately held company based in Charlotte, North Carolina. The acquisition is expected to close in the fourth quarter. Financial details were not disclosed.
Venetica is a leading provider of enterprise content integration software that enables organizations to access unstructured information such as business documents, still images, digital media and Web pages, and integrate it into existing business processes. Venetica's operations will be integrated into the Information Integration group within IBM's Information Management software business, and Venetica products will be available from IBM and its business partners.
With the acquisition, IBM is further extending its information integration capabilities to help companies manage all forms of information across the enterprise. According to industry estimates, 85 percent of business information resides in unstructured formats. Forrester Research also estimates that more than 75 percent of customers are faced with the challenge of managing and integrating more than one source of content from multiple vendors. The firm also states that 25 percent of customers are managing information stored in more than 15 content repositories throughout their organizations.
Once the acquisition is completed, IBM plans to:
- Integrate Venetica's software assets and personnel into the Information Integration group within IBM's Information Management Software group, which is led by General Manager, Janet Perna;
- Market and sell Venetica technology worldwide through IBM direct sales and its business partners;
- Venetica technology will be integrated into IBM's DB2 Information Integrator family of products and complement other IBM middleware offerings, including DB2 Content Manager, WebSphere Application Server, WebSphere Portal, WebSphere Business Integration and IBM's Workplace initiatives.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access