IBM announced two new certification exams to help database administrators (DBAs) easily update their skills on DB2 Universal Database version 8. The new exams are designed to help DBAs become certified faster and at half the cost of competitive certification offerings.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, more than 26,000 new DBA positions will be available annually through 2006. In an effort to simplify the certification process and meet marketplace demand for current database skills, IBM is offering new certification exams to help DBAs easily learn how to maximize the latest features of DB2 version 8 to advance their careers and gain a faster return on their skills investments.
The new DB2 version 8 certification exams include:
- The DB2 version 8 upgrade exam, which enables DBAs to quickly update their DB2 certification requirements with one simplified test. The 30-question exam, which is half the length of competitor's upgrade tests, validates DBA skills based on a variety of performance capabilities including database server management and backup and recovery features. DB2's advanced self-managing and self-tuning capabilities also help eliminate many of the tasks typically required to maintain databases, allowing DBAs to become certified on the latest version in less time.
- The Advanced Database Administrator for DB2 version 8 certification exam, immerses experienced DBAs into leading edge administration topics such as federated data management, high availability and performance and scalability tactics including clustering and query optimization. The exam includes testing on DB2's advanced multidimensional clustering feature that provides DBAs with immediate access to critical business data nearly 100 percent faster than before.
- The new certification exams are administered at Thompson Prometric and VUE Testing Centers located in major cities worldwide, and for a limited time, the upgrade certification exam will be available at half the regular certification test price of $60 (U.S.) at these centers. The advanced certification exam is being offered at $120 (U.S.) for experienced DBAs. New DBAs can obtain this certification by passing an entry level and intermediate exam. IBM is the only database vendor to offer this fast path to advanced certification.
With this news, IBM is also launching an enhanced data management certification program that delivers role-based certification paths to prepare DBAs for in-demand database jobs including database administrator, developer and designer. As a result of these role-based paths, businesses can now easily map certifications to specific jobs within their organizations.
For example, the database administrator certification path provides candidates with the necessary skills that enable them to effectively deploy and maintain DB2 in multiple environments, including data access and information integration responsibilities. The developer certification path provides candidates with necessary programming skills that prepare them to manage large- scale databases including application and solution development. IBM is also the only database vendor to offer a certification path for the designer, which represents a specialized skill set in developing business intelligence and content management applications.
All DB2 version 8 certification exams are available immediately for Linux, UNIX and Windows platforms. For more information on DB2 version 8 exams or registration, visit the IBM Data Management training and certification Web site at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/education.html.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access