I was told to build a data warehouse. I'm not sure what that means. How should I get started?
Sid Adelman's answer:
- Read a book on the subject. I suggest Data Warehouse: Practical Advice from the Experts by Joyce Bischoff, Understanding and Implementing Successful Data Marts by Doug Hackney or Building the Data Warehouse by Bill Inmon.
- Go back to those who asked you to build the data warehouse and ask them what they expect to get from the data warehouse. What are their goals and objectives? If they don't have any, develop a set yourself and validate it with them.
- Ask what commitments (budget, resources, people) the sponsors are willing to give you.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access