December 21, 2009 – The top three technology buzzwords of CIOs and CTOs in the last year are Web 2.0, cloud computing and virtual desktop, according to Logicalis, a U.K.-based provider of information and communication technology services. Derived from studying technology sites and conversations on social media outlets, the company offers this reference list to help businesses plan for areas of focus in 2010.
Top 10 Technology Buzzwords of 2009
1. Web 2.0 allows companies to support two-way information sharing, interactivity and a deeper relationship with customers.
2. Cloud computing helps make IT costs predictable, flexible and scalable.
3. Virtual desktops can lower costs and decrease the time it takes to manage a large number of dispersed desktops, while increasing security.
4. Social media can be leveraged for competitive advantage, and requires some level of governance in an area that crosses the line between personal and work life.
5. Security remains a top topic of conversation, as it is still essential.
6. Google entered the arena of Web-based applications, browsing and cloud offerings.
7. Microsoft and Windows 7 was buzzworthy with reviews and user experiences to in-depth testing and analysis.
8. Government 2.0 is helping politicians realize the power of Web-based opinion, and quickly drive campaigns and initiatives to a broad audience.
9. Twitter enables many respected IT leaders to quickly share perspectives.
10. iPhone and other mobile devices are impacting the enterprise in terms of support, security and viruses.
This information can be used to address customers' needs, as well as to prepare IT for what areas organizations will be looking at expanding into next year.
“Many of these terms should already be quite familiar,” said Lisa Dreher, vice president, marketing for Logicalis in the research release. “We hope to establish an understanding of how these buzzwords are establishing new or extending existing trends in the information technology industry.”
Read James Kobielus’s predictions for 2010 here.
Read 10 trading trends for 2010 here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access