PLATFORMS: GigaLabs runs Control's client/server software on networked Intel-based PCs and servers using the Windows 95 operating system, integrated with Mas90 financials.
BACKGROUND: GigaLabs develops and markets a range of very high-speed switches for enterprise networks. GigaLabs has devised a new product called Jigsaw that, for the first time, will switch disk storage traffic directly. GigaLabs storage-networking switches increase, by up to five times, the connectivity and throughput to the installed base of SCSI storage devices, while offering a seamless migration path to other storage-networking technologies.
PROBLEM SOLVED: Financial reporting, planning and analysis capabilities are provided through the use of Control. GigaLabs uses Control to quickly and accurately:
- Consolidate multiple companies into the consolidated financial statements.
- Generate financial variance analyses (actuals vs. forecasts, plans, prior periods).
- Generate financial reports for management review regarding spending trends, forecasts, analyses of specific costs by cost center and ad hoc reports as needed.
STRENGTHS: The integration of Excel's formatting capabilities with Control's data management engine creates a strong product offering. Control is a data warehouse and a set of data manipulation and reporting capabilities that provides the user with flexibility, speed and the tools to manage multiple "what-if" scenarios.
SELECTION CRITERIA: Control was selected because GigaLabs needed a fast, flexible and reliable reporting, planning and consolidation tool for finance. Control has a significant advantage over competitive offerings in that it does not require a "solve" process to incorporate data changes into higher level reports--as soon as new data is stored into the database, all reports reflect that information. The Control product incorporates a finance-person's understanding of forecasting, reporting and consolidation requirements, saving significant staff time and effort in performing these responsibilities. The download and upload capabilities of Control enable easy integration with other financial software packages.
- Reports: monthly financial statements, trend reports by organization and account type, "drill-down" analyses of specific items of interest, key indicator summaries, variance analyses, forecast and actuals summaries.
- Consolidation: GigaLabs downloads our domestic general ledger actuals from Mas90 into Control and inputs the actuals from other companies into Control to produce consolidated trial balances.
VENDOR SUPPORT: KCI Computing provided exemplary support during pre- and post-implementation. A consultant was assigned to us to implement the product customized for our particular general ledger and account structure. The implementation was handled in a timely fashion, with appropriate involvement on our part, and the final product reflected our specifications. Training classes are available and delivered effectively. The best part of working with the vendor is KCI Computing's responsiveness. Calls are returned quickly, and the issues are resolved promptly. The KCI Computing staff is well informed, articulate and interested in the clients' success with the product.
DOCUMENTATION: Control is one of the best documented products that I have worked with. It sets the standard for clear, easy-to-follow documentation.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access