DataCore's automatic "Virtual Capacity" capability is now being made available on DataCore's SANmelody disk server platforms. This powerful breakthrough in open storage management and provisioning surpasses the competition and dramatically lowers the price point so that storage users can finally afford to experience the compelling productivity, time savings and lower cost benefits of automated "Virtual Capacity" - the industry's true open storage virtualization.
DataCore's auto-provisioning capability lets users serve up massively large logical disk volumes, sized from gigabytes to terabytes. To application servers, these 'virtual capacity' disk volumes are simple to use since they appear, perform and work just like any other locally attached disk. The difference is that the actual physical disk capacity is drawn from a storage pool on an as-needed basis therefore ensuring optimal disk space utilization. Setting up disks that grow automatically is simple and requires just a single command. "Virtual capacity" volumes work not just over fibre channel SAN networks but also on existing IP/LAN-based infrastructures using iSCSI storage networking.
Divorcing capacity allocation from physical disk constraints using DataCore software returns five important cost reduction and productivity benefits:
- Disk utilization is maximized since all free space remains in the global storage pool.
- Applications only occupy space they are really using. This effectively stretches storage budgets by 60-70% which could more than pay for the introduction of DataCore software.
- Critical applications run undisturbed as their capacity requirements climb. Unlike conventional approaches in which adding storage causes application downtime and user interruption.
- IT personnel no longer spend time responding to disk re-allocation and resizing requests.
- Capacity planners have a much better understanding of their total disk needs to properly address long-range provisioning.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access