Nearly 90 percent of investment advisors point to "cybersecurity, privacy and identity theft" as the hottest compliance topic of 2015 -- up from 75 percent last year. Moreover, heightened concerns about cybersecurity are now universal -- regardless of an investment firm's size, number of employees or types of accounts under management, according to the 2015 Management Compliance Testing Survey.
- 43 percent having a formal, written, standalone cybersecurity program, while another 42 percent have formal cybersecurity policies and procedures that are incorporated into broader programs.
- 15 percent reported being the victim of a cybersecurity breach in the past 18 months, up from 11 percent last year.
- 52 percent conduct mock exams, either through internal staff or a third party.
- Firms say they increased the amount of compliance testing in the following areas: cybersecurity/privacy/identity theft (67.9 percent); advertising/marketing (42.95 percent); personal trading/code of ethics (34 percent); disaster recovery planning (35 percent), and best execution (32 percent).
- 89 percent have formal written policies and procedures to govern the use of social media by employees up from 83 percent in 2013.
- 65 percent review email and electronic communications for all employees, focusing on such areas as violations of firm policies and procedures, insider trading, fraudulent activity and use of non-approved marketing materials.
As a whole, growing concern about cybersecurity across the financial community isn't surprising. Earlier this year, Wall Street was shaken when Kaspersky Lab said international hackers stole as much as $1 billion from more than 100 banks across 30 countries since 2013.
More recently, the massive Office of Personnel Management hack has triggered a fresh round of privacy and security concerns across all vertical markets.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access