The topic of data governance gets a lot of lip service, but what is it really, and how does an organization do it right?
Those will be among the topics covered in the tutorial “Big Data Governance” to be held at The MDM Summit in New York, November 8-10. The session will be hosted by Sunil Soares, founder and managing partner at Information Asset. Soares will review key considerations in governing the big data lake, including stewardship, data ingestion, metadata tooling, and model governance.
Among the specific topics to be covered in the session are:
- The evolution of the role of the data steward to account for regulatory compliance.
- Alignment with information security.
- Identification of critical data elements.
- Determination of big data policies, standards, and processes.
- Defining data standards in conjunction with privacy, legal and compliance … “all the while establishing key processes such as data ingestion, data quality, metadata management, data wrangling and analytics.”
Soares will also share the results of case studies and best practices, and lessons learned from real-world examples. Attendees should leave the event prepared to:
- Establish model governance, including model lineage, metadata and ownership.
- Provision reference architecture for big data governance.
- Leverage tools from vendors such as Alteryx, Cloudera, Collibra, DAG, Hortonworks, IBM, Informatica, Oracle, SAS, and Zaloni.