During his keynote address at Cognos' North American BI user conference today, Cognos chief executive officer Ron Zambonini will showcase some of the industry-leading solutions Cognos has developed in close partnership with its customers. Cognos Tech Forum 2003, held in Orlando Florida June 8-10, features dozens of presentations, discussion groups and technical labs hosted by Cognos technical experts, customers, partners and analysts.
"The success of our company has always turned and will always turn on the success of our customers," said Zambonini. "Many of our greatest BI and CPM innovations were first envisioned and tested by our clients - within some of the most complex and sophisticated, global organizations in the world. Our flagship release, Cognos Enterprise BI Series 7, is a testament to that approach and a harbinger of greater Cognos innovation still to come."
In addition to product updates and training, break-out session tracks at the conference provide valuable insights and guidance on how companies can best leverage Cognos solutions, including:
- Implementing and deploying business intelligence solutions practical, proven approaches for deploying high-impact applications that deliver maximum ROI
- Delivering high-impact information state-of-the-art techniques for building an effective BI environment
- Building the infrastructure insights on how to leverage business intelligence to meet IT challenges such as multiple data sources, new technologies, and faster development cycles
- Enterprise planning: Plan Your Financial Performance new opportunities with enterprise planning that help to drive best-in-class performance and leverage enterprise business intelligence and enterprise scorecarding performance.
Other highlights include a panel discussion hosted by leading industry analysts from Gartner, Giga Information Group, META Group, The Data Warehouse Institute and Ventana Research. The analyst panel will provide insights on BI strategies and best practices for competitive advantage, how leaders are reshaping the market to improve the ROI of business intelligence, how emerging technology trends are impacting business intelligence practices, and how customers can prepare to leverage these emerging trends.
Cognos unveiled a new analytic application designed for use in discrete and repetitive manufacturing environments. Cognos Production Analysis, which expands Cognos' Supply Chain Analytics solution, provides analytics tailored to meet the manufacturing information demands of general managers, demand planners, production managers and production supervisors.
Manufacturing is focused on delivering to the market products to specification, on-time and budget, and making the best use of the resources available to control costs. To accomplish this, organizations need insight into manufacturing and shop floor performance leveraging data residing in ERP and other transactional systems.
Cognos Production Analysis augments any shop floor transaction system by providing visibility into detailed and summary level information ranging from shift level to multi-year trends with easy-to-use, multilevel reporting. This allows decision-makers to navigate and improve a company's production performance through immediate access to actionable information. Multi-dimensional visibility enables work order and material cost reduction while balancing delivery commitments and capacity constraints.
With Cognos Production Analysis, four key areas of analysis answer over 120 critical business questions, using more than 170 key performance indicators (KPIs) and over 45 reports, including:
- Work order material usage and cost analysis: Provides analytics to perform bill-of-materials cost analysis, optimize demand planning and manage material transactions related to work orders as well as provide critical visibility into production operations. The analytics assist manufacturers in decision making associated with routing, material usage and material substitutions needed to drive production cost reduction programs.
- Time-to-delivery analysis: Offers analytics to optimize lead-time and order fulfillment times across build-to-order and build-to-stock strategies, including the necessary breadth to monitor and analyze product cycle time and inventory aging. This provides insights into delivery commitment constraints and focused information necessary to make timely and accurate decisions with regard to product and operation cycle time.
- Quality and yield analysis: Initiate, guide and monitor quality improvement programs within a plant or between plants with insights into the relationship between quantity, cost, and lost profit. Improve plant or line effectiveness by comparing yield and yield losses for all plants or for specific plants or operations against standards yield. This detail can be used by operators to provide an immediate understanding of their contribution to business performance measures and take any necessary actions. When used in conjunction with time-to-delivery, the analytics reveal where effort spent on improving yield could result in increased plant efficiency and production line throughput improvements.
Organization effectiveness: Summary views provide comparison reports on delivery performance, quality, and production cost at the plant, department and shift level. Cognos Analytic Applications are pre-built business analysis and reporting solutions that extend the value of existing investments in ERP and other operational systems. These analytics leverage built-in business value, are extensible for competitive business advantage, and offer a production-ready architecture, driving faster time to results.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access