December 19, 2012 – Enterprise cloud applications are scoring some anticipated victories with modernization and business value, but are frequently used in a compliance gray area, according to results of a new survey.
The reported, entitled “Drivers of Cloud Adoption,” surveyed 327 CIOs, IT professionals and business executives involved in cloud adoption at their companies. It was conducted by industry analyst firm Dimensional Research and sponsored by software and on-demand performance management vendor Host Analytics.
When asked the driving factors for choosing a cloud application over an on-premise option, there was little surprise that 80 percent of business executives picked “value” as the top reason. CIOs, on the other hand, were split among a range of reasons: cloud better met compliance requirements (58 percent), perception of cloud holding competitive advantage (51 percent), turning to cloud applications as part of a wider cloud strategy (42 percent), along with, of course, value (53 percent).
Compared with on-premise solutions, cloud applications showed more agile avenues for updates and modernization, according to survey results. Sixty-one percent of IT respondents stated they regularly work with business-critical, on-premise software that has not been upgraded recently. Nearly half of that on-premise software is three-to-four years out of date, respondents stated.
When moving applications to the cloud, there was an added belief among 95 percent of CIO respondents that learning to work on the cloud modernized users’ expertise. Fewer business respondents, 67 percent, saw this use of cloud applications as an added benefit.
While compliance was a leading factor for CIOs turning to applications in the cloud, those measures didn’t totally match up with corporate policy on application maintenance contracts. The survey found that 62 percent of participants have corporate policy in place to keep mission-critical applications current with vendor maintenance. While 72 percent of CIOs reported that applications were in check with compliance expectations, the remaining 28 percent replied that they “were not sure” if the cloud applications were in compliance when it came to maintenance, according to the survey.
The survey turned in high marks when it came to nailing down help from contractors or employees to manage and customize cloud applications. Finding technical help with off-site applications was “easy” according to business executives (83 percent) and CIOs (81 percent), with only the remaining percentages reporting a difficult experience.
For a complimentary PDF copy of the survey results, click here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access