Recent online research from Network Appliance, Inc. found that British IT bosses are being increasingly challenged to weigh and balance reliable data management against the pressures of cost and compliance for their businesses. The survey pulled from approximately 245 participants across the UK, found that a quarter of respondents require more then 24-hours to fully restore company data-while only 7 percent have the ability to restore within an hour. Half of all survey respondents admitted to being less then 90 percent confident about the reliability of their data backup despite the fact that over 60 percent of respondents were spending at least the same-or more-on data management.
The survey results are a clear indicator and pragmatic argument for the logic and efficiency of disk-to-disk (D2D) backup strategies, such as NetApp D2D solutions, to complement legacy tape backup environments and backup processes.
Additionally, the survey uncovered 22 percent of businesses backing up data only once a week. This is partly due to the increased time taken to complete backups. Another interesting finding was that 66 percent of businesses take over 6 hours to complete a backup-and that a staggering 27 percent of businesses over 12 hours to do the same task.
The research reveals that the ability to recover large volumes of data within an acceptable timeframe is also proving to be a major backup and recovery challenge for British businesses, per the 25 percent of respondents claiming that it takes more than 24 hours to complete a full data restore.
Key findings include:
- 22 percent of businesses only back up once a week
- It takes 66 percent of businesses over 6 hours and 27 percent of businesses over 12 hours to complete a backup
- 40 percent of backup windows have increased
- 49 percent of businesses are less then 90 percent confident in the reliability of their backups
- It takes 25 percent of businesses more than 24 hours to complete a full data restoration
- 31 percent of businesses expect their budget for data protection to increase in the next 12 months
- 69 percent of businesses use tape to protect and archive data
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access