Actuate Corporation, a world leader in enterprise reporting and performance management applications that empower 100 percnet of users to achieve breakthrough corporate performance, and Zend Technologies, the PHP company, announced that they have teamed up to allow PHP developers to quickly add reporting capabilities to Web applications using Actuate BIRT.
PHP, a recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor, is a widely used, general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML. PHP allows web developers to create content that interacts with databases, and has quickly become one of the most popular languages for building dynamic web applications. Actuate BIRT, Actuate's report development product based upon the Eclipse Foundation's top-level open source project of the same name, is the perfect complement to PHP.
The collaboration between Zend and Actuate has resulted in new capabilities in the 3.0 version of the Zend Platform, which is available today for download as a pre-release version at www.zend.com. Zend Platform 3.0 allows PHP developers to quickly integrate reporting capabilities, including charting, to web applications by calling Actuate BIRT reports via the Zend Java Bridge. Web application developers are often faced with strong end-user demands for reports that integrate and summarize application data. This new functionality will provide an efficient alternative to hand coding reports from scratch using PHP, and will ensure that more PHP applications are up and running quickly with the reporting capabilities that they need. Developers who have built reports using Actuate BIRT will now be able to easily distribute those reports via PHP applications .
Functionality that is now available to PHP developers includes:
- Flexible report output formats that deliver single or multipage PDF or HTML reports in several viewing and printed formats using parameters, multiple sections, grouping levels, charts, and more. Report content can also easily be exported to CSV format.
- Reports built on top of any data source that enable report developers to access and generate reports from SQL databases, text files, or XML.
- Easy-to-use visual design environment that enables developers to create and deploy reports in minutes via a simple, robust, wizard-driven interface.
- Powerful integrated charting that enables charting reports to be built easily in a variety of types which include line, bar, pie, meters, area, scatter and stock. The charts can be output in different formats including scalable vector graphics (SVG).
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access