Cloud traffic will nearly quadruple to account for 92% of total data center traffic by 2020, with the remaining 8% processed in traditional data centers, according to new research from network products provider Cisco.
In its sixth annual Global Cloud Index report, the company said cloud traffic is expected to rise 3.7-fold, up from 3.9 zettabytes (ZB) per year in 2015 to 14.1 ZB per year by 2020. The rapid growth of cloud traffic is attributed to increased migration to cloud architectures due to their ability to scale quickly and efficiently support more workloads than traditional data centers.
Business workloads will grow by 2.4 fold from 2015 to 2020, the report said, but their overall share of data center workloads will decrease from 79% to 72%. Consumer workloads, while smaller in number, are growing faster. By 2020, consumer workloads will account for 28% of total data center workloads, compared with 21% in 2015.
Internet of Things (IoT), analytics and database workloads are growing the most in terms of share of business workloads, with collaboration and compute workloads largely maintaining their share. By 2020, database/analytics/IoT workloads will account for 22% of total business workloads, compared with 20% in 2015.
For the first time, Cisco also quantified and analyzed the impact of hyperscale data centers. These data centers will grow from 259 in 2015 to 485 by 2020, the report said. Hyperscale data center traffic is projected to quintuple over the next five years. These infrastructures will account for 47% of total data center installed servers and support 53% of all data center traffic by 2020.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Information Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access