Plenty of folks have been on vacation in recent days, but that doesn't mean the IT industry took a holiday break. Indeed, we're witnessing a range of mergers, acquisitions, launches and innovations across the big data, business analytics and business intelligence sectors.
Here's a look at a range of developments that emerged in recent days:
1. Accenture launched the Accenture Insights Platform, a cloud-based, end-to-end analytics solution designed to simplify analytics and deliver real-time, actionable insights to businesses for a competitive advantage, the company asserts. The system is built atop Accenture Cloud Platform, a multi-cloud management platform.
2. Axtria, which specializes in big data analytics, raised $30 million in Series C funding. Helion Venture Partners led the round with a $15 million investment.
3. Blackboard recently acquired X-Ray Analytics, a tool for predicting student performance trends.
4. Couchbase Inc. says its NoSQL mobile products community now has 100,000 developer members. Couchbase Mobile allows developers to write mobile apps that work with or without a network connection.
5. Emdeon Inc., an analytics specialist in Nashville, Tenn., is buying Altegra Health Inc., which offers data analytics and customer engagement software and services for health insurance companies. The $910 million deal is expected to close in Q3.
6. Evolven Software's latest IT operations analytics software release, dubbed Evolven Blended Analytics, is now available. Evolven Blended Analytics correlates cross silo data sources with changes the true root causes of performance and availability issues, the company asserts. The net result: Fewer incidents and setbacks while businesses improve their DevOps and Audit efforts, Evolven says.
7. Huron Consulting Group Inc., which provides business consulting services, acquired the India affiliate (Rittman Mead India) of Rittman Mead Consulting Ltd., a data and analytics consulting firm that specializes in enterprise performance management (EPM).
8. Kyvos Insights, a big data analytics company, recently emerged from stealth mode and launched OLAP on Hadoop technology aptly called Kyvos. It supports all major Hadoop distributions including Apache Hadoop, Cloudera, Hortonworks and MapR, giving enterprise customers the flexibility to use Kyvos, independent of their Hadoop vendor, the company claims.
9. Liaison Technologies' data platform as a service -- called ALLOY -- uses the MapR Distribution including Hadoop to support big data integration and management.
10. MapR Technologies has teamed with Google Cloud Platform to provide $500 of credit to spend on Google Cloud Platform services for each registrant with its free Hadoop On-Demand Training program. To redeem the credit, register for MapR training and follow the instructions provided within the training portal.
12. SAS recently launched SAS Factory Miner, an automated analytics model builder capable of rapidly churning out thousands of models, the company said. Factory Miner, incorporating machine learning techniques, has a point-and-click creation environment and allows users to spotlight the best performing models for production use, the company says.
13. Software AG recently launched pre-built Big Data Predictive Analytics solutions for its Digital Business Platform. The solutions make it easier and faster for enterprises across industries like retail, manufacturing, financial services, telecommunications, utilities, and hospitality to expose, anticipate, and act on critical business insights, the company asserts.
14. Tableau Software recently demonstrated a forthcoming Google Cloud SQL connector that will be available in the coming months. The new connector will provide Tableau and Google Cloud SQL customers with an easy way to see and understand their data, the companies say.
15. Teradata launched Teradata Appliance for Hadoop, version 5, which is configurable, ready-to-run and offers a choice of the latest version of Hadoop from Hortonworks (HDP 2.3), and for the first time, Cloudera (Cloudera Enterprise 5.4). This appliance gives users the flexibility to accelerate time-to-value and reduce Hadoop cost of ownership, Teradata asserts.
16. TIBCO Software recently eleased Jaspersoft 6.1, which improves the embedding of BI inside mobile and SaaS applications. The upgrade boosts iOS and Android BI application performance, while also bolstering the built-in multi-tenancy service for SaaS applications, the company asserts.
17. VoltDB, an in-memory operational database, recently selected Progress DataDirect OpenAccess SDK to increase access to business intelligence (BI) tools that allow VoltDB customers to visualize and access fast-moving data, the companies say.
18. Workday launched Workday Planning, a planning, budgeting, and forecasting application that can unify real-time finance and HR data with analytics and enterprise planning, the company claims.
19. Recognizing a serious shortage of analytics experts, Xavier University is launching a graduate degree programto develop business leaders who can make decisions using large customer databases, the university said.
Each Friday, Information Management recaps a range of product, service and business developments across the big data, analytics and business intelligence landscape. Submit tips and announcements here.