Question: My boss is reluctant to begin any data warehouse activity until we have thoroughly planned, staffed and gained total commitment to a data warehouse initiative. My problem is that I cant get the resources to perform any of these activities until my boss gives me the go-ahead. How do I convince her that we need to start doing something?
Chuck Kelleys Answer: It sounds, to me, that your boss is not ready for or does not comprehend what a data warehouse can do for the organization. I would spend some time discussing with her what you want to do and why going through the whole process as you outlined is a mistake. Work to gain credibility on why it should be done a different way. Also, I would go talk to the business community to find a champion/evangelist for the DW and use that person to drive the process.
All Information Management articles are archived after 7 days. REGISTER NOW for unlimited access to all recently archived articles, as well as thousands of searchable stories. Registered Members also gain access to:
- Full access to information-management.com including all searchable archived content
- Exclusive E-Newsletters delivering the latest headlines to your inbox
- Access to White Papers, Web Seminars, and Blog Discussions
- Discounts to upcoming conferences & events
- Uninterrupted access to all sponsored content, and MORE!