I get many questions about the usage, pervasiveness, and adaption of mobile BI applications. What's a mobile BI application? Beyond a simple delivery of alerts, URLs or actual reports via email - functionality that has existed for years - here are a few newer approaches to deliver BI on a mobile device:
- The no brainer. In theory any mobile device equipped with a browser can access web based, thin client, HTML only BI applications. Yes, these BI apps will be mostly static, not interactive reports and dashboards. Navigation (scrolling, zooming, etc) will be quite awkward. But, this approach indeed requires no additional effort to deploy.
- Customization. The next step up is to render each (or all) reports and dashboards to a format suitable to any mobile device in terms of screen size, usage of screen real estate, and mobile device specific navigation instrumentation. A variation of this approach is to create device specific navigation controls (thumb wheel or thumb button for Blackberries, up/down/left/right arrows for Palms, gestural manipulation for iPhone, etc). This obviously requires more development effort, but still no additional software.
- Mobile BI server.This approach requires specialized software provided by a mobile or BI software vendor. The Mobile server can be setup to automatically render specified (or all) reports in a mobile device format. Basically, it's the same approach as in step 2, but the work and the effort now lies on the shoulders of a server, not a programmer.
- Mobile device client app. This is obviously the most advanced approach which allows full interactivity with BI content, optimized for a particular mobile device. Furthermore, this approach can allow for periodic, background syncrhonization and caching of BI data, which can then be viewed and analyzed even offline (airplanes without wi-fi, for example).
All Information Management articles are archived after 7 days. REGISTER NOW for unlimited access to all recently archived articles, as well as thousands of searchable stories. Registered Members also gain access to:
- Full access to information-management.com including all searchable archived content
- Exclusive E-Newsletters delivering the latest headlines to your inbox
- Access to White Papers, Web Seminars, and Blog Discussions
- Discounts to upcoming conferences & events
- Uninterrupted access to all sponsored content, and MORE!