The new year started off with a bang in the human capital management software market as SumTotal Systems acquired GeoLearning, a leading learning management system (LMS) software vendor.
If you think this is just another acquisition, think again. I see GeoLearning as a strategic acquisition and a clearly offensive move on SumTotal’s part. Strategic, because vendors are looking to consolidate well-proven LMS and related talent management applications into a single comprehensive suite. And offensive, as GeoLearning had one of the few stand-alone LMSs, which is required technology to provide a complete talent management suite in the market. SumTotal’s competitor Taleo knew this when it acquired Learn.com in 2010 to deepen its capabilities. And we now have a new playing field with Plateau and Saba, both of whom have been expanding their LMS-centered application suites.
All Information Management articles are archived after 7 days. REGISTER NOW for unlimited access to all recently archived articles, as well as thousands of searchable stories. Registered Members also gain access to:
- Full access to information-management.com including all searchable archived content
- Exclusive E-Newsletters delivering the latest headlines to your inbox
- Access to White Papers, Web Seminars, and Blog Discussions
- Discounts to upcoming conferences & events
- Uninterrupted access to all sponsored content, and MORE!