Lest we banish Planners forever, be mindful that the Easterly depiction is a weak straw man whose benefits are probably now under-appreciated. Nevertheless, the Planner/Searcher dichotomy is progressing to the business world in a big way. The Practice of Leadership blog promotes Searchers in a flattering article: Planners vs searchers...the big programme vs small wins. And no less a management authority than writer/consultant Tom Peters has opined strongly on the topic: The Right Plan is to Have No Plan. Peters sees his career portfolio of work as archtypically Searcher: My "ideology"my only ideologyis unabashedly rapid fire trial and error. (Bob Waterman and I labeled this "a bias for action," our first of Eight Basics that were the centerpiece of In Search of Excellence. Indeed, the evidenced-based management movement, driven by a learning obsession with data, experiments, analytics and feedback, is the embodiment of searching in the business world.
All Information Management articles are archived after 7 days. REGISTER NOW for unlimited access to all recently archived articles, as well as thousands of searchable stories. Registered Members also gain access to:
- Full access to information-management.com including all searchable archived content
- Exclusive E-Newsletters delivering the latest headlines to your inbox
- Access to White Papers, Web Seminars, and Blog Discussions
- Discounts to upcoming conferences & events
- Uninterrupted access to all sponsored content, and MORE!