It was a treat a couple of weeks ago to speak with Paul Gunn, the data center administrator for Weta Digital, the visual effects house behind the movie AVATAR. I reported about this experience already and from my view, no offense intended to anyone, it was a bit more fun than chatting up an insurance company or academic facility. Paul and his team are dead serious about their work, but look what they get to churn out for a living!
Anyway, I only had about 25 minutes with Paul as his whole shop was about to shut down for two weeks vacation (another industry perk), but he handed along some tidbits that made me think. I’d spent a good bit of time getting a refresh on data center technology a few months ago with Sungard Data Services that caught me up with the state of the art. That experience, compared to talking to Weta Digital showed me that data centers can be purpose built or as they say down under, “horses for courses.”
All Information Management articles are archived after 7 days. REGISTER NOW for unlimited access to all recently archived articles, as well as thousands of searchable stories. Registered Members also gain access to:
- Full access to information-management.com including all searchable archived content
- Exclusive E-Newsletters delivering the latest headlines to your inbox
- Access to White Papers, Web Seminars, and Blog Discussions
- Discounts to upcoming conferences & events
- Uninterrupted access to all sponsored content, and MORE!